Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dirt, dirt, and more dirt. Trying our hand at landscaping.

Matt and I finally dug up all that mulch. When we bought the house the original owners had a bad ass swing set in the backyard. Unfortunately they took it with them but left the mulch, the wood borders, and that ugly sandbox turtle. Back in April I had big dreams for our backyard...and I still do, but it's hard work.

There was a 1/2 assed flower bed behind the garage and some over grown weeds. We decided to make it less weeds more flowers, plant some veggies, and grow some grass.

Well after getting bit I pretty much didn't do anything for a month. Kind of late for veggies and grass, but we tried anyway. I planted tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, eggplant and watermelon in pallets with inspiration from pinterest. Also planted lavender, sunflowers, and sweet peas. If they don't bloom I will be super sad. I'm hoping to make it a wild flower/veggie garden. Next year I'm hoping to get on the ball sooner and yield more blooms. If the grass doesn't seed I'll be calling in the pros for some sod, but I'm hoping we don't have to go that far.

But before I post before & afters I need to share my top soil fiasco. We don't have a truck, so I needed a delivery. I called 2 companies and they both said about 6 yards. The trucks came and dumped it. Holy shit that's a ton (probably literally) of dirt. 2 dump trucks. I was nervous it was too much AND I was right. Way too much. If I wasn't such a dope I could have saved about 100.00 but I digress. My neighbors and co-workers got their hands on dirt, lots of free dirt. I couldn't stand the thought of paying someone to remove it. Ugh! Hopefully next year will be much easier since the hard stuff is out of the way. Thanks Matt for filling the flower bed and lugging block for me. <3 your hopeful green thumb of a wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment