Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Healing up

A week ago I was working a 3-11 shift and following up on a dog bite call. I expected to be in and out of the homeowner's house, as the bite was something that happened several days prior to but went unreported.

While at the owner's home I was bit by the same dog. Exactly 7 days ago, to the T, I was bit in the mouth by a pitbull. Initially I thought the dog just nicked my chin. Then I felt the warm sensation run down my chin and knew it was bad. I was trying to stop the bleeding, but it continued to run down my forearms and on my uniform.

They always say waiting for back up feels like forever. It felt like 5 minutes but I can say it was less than 2. My partner rushed me to the hospital. My Sgt. had the painful task of calling my husband and telling him to meet me in the emergency room.

I can see the look on Matt's face as panic. I have never seen him like that. After assessing the damage, a plastic Surgeon came in to stitch me up. I lost 25% of my bottom lip and have a gap about the width of my index finger. I have a small scar on the left side or my upper lip and one on my chin.

I was blessed with so much love and support that night and it has continued. My co-workers are my family and are nothing short of amazing.

The first few days were the worse. Every time I looked in the mirror I was reminded about what happened. It was horrible to look at and even more horrible to explain over and over again what had happened, especially to people who are not on the job. Everyone just expects you to have the time or opportunity to shoot it and I can tell you that opportunity did not present itself that day.

I can say I was kind of depressed but it has gotten better since the stitches were taken out. I lost a few pounds not being able to eat. I found myself having the patience and temper of a child, taking it out on Matt and getting frustrated with the puppy. I feel healthy enough to return to work, but since I run the risk of getting cracked in the face, I'm out of work until enough scar tissue develops to toughen it up. It's going to be a long haul, but I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing Ashley, gardening, painting, and reading a few books.

Again having the love, help, and support of my family in blue, friends, family and husband has been instrumental to this whole ordeal. I love you Matt and thank you for telling me I'm still pretty. I'm a lucky girl. It could have been so much worse.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow, you poor girl. Sending you my best wishes for a fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete