Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The 5k's of May

Apparently, I start a lot of post with the work So. So...I'm going to avoid doing that in the future, I hope.  Anyway I am on a mission to lose 8 lbs this month. That being said I am aiming for 20 miles a week (8.3 thus far) and try to avoid extra sugar. I haven't really noticed how much sugar I consume until recent and ITS BAD. I am a hound for coffee. Black with splenda, but I got lazy and ran out of splenda so I went with regular sugar. I only use a tea spoon for a cup but I consume 3-4-5 cups of coffee a day.  Also I don't want to use splenda anymore because of the artificialness of it. I switched to coffee with skim milk. I eat yogurt often. My favs are yoplait and chobani. Also I just recently noticed that it is loaded with sugar. I need HELP and I need to find that courage to avoid sugar for the month of May. And probably carbs too, but one thing at a time here. And alcohol. Thats my vice.

Back to the 5k's of May. May 5 is Scranton's Dirty Girl Mud Run I am super excited. It has been forever since I participated in a 5k. Like maybe 4 years. What makes this 5k even more special is that I am running it with my college roommates. I can't wait to run with these girls. I miss them so much. Its amazing how life changes. I mean I lived with these girls for years. Every day we saw each other, now the better part of 6 months can go by before we can get together. I am making tee shirts tomorrow night for our team. Pink of course!

May 6 (yea, one day later) is Port Jervis 5k. I really would like to do it in under 30. I don't know if its possible but maybe by the end of the summer, I will finish a 5k in under 30. I can run well/easy at 6mph/10 min mile on a treadmill. Outside is another story. I have a hard time with pace, I get anxious to finish, and I will slow down and eventually walk a few feet before running again. I do not know what the deal is, but its absolutely mental.

May 12 (amazingly I have Sats off in May this month) Brooke and I are walking a 5k. It's a charity event for a child with an illness. Honestly, I know nothing about it but I'm happy to walk for something good and I hope the benefits of that day are a success for the young boy.

Well as far as I know there will be 3 5k's in May. I hope to keep at it and do something fun in June. I want to develop a training program for me to do something of greater distance by the end of the fall. Maybe a 10k or HM. We shall see. I'll be back after Sat with pics.

2 comments:

  1. So . . . I use that word too often, too!

    Have fun at your 5ks. There's an article in Runner's World this month about targeting specific time goals for the 5k, including breaking 30 mins. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathleen. I picked up a copy and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete